Thursday 8 October 2009

A couple of little Christmas cards

I'm not doing too bad with my Christmas cards at all this year! I've got quite a few made already, so thought I would make a few more this week to try out a couple of new techniques.

This is part of the first one - my little greeting circle. I used Stampin Up's Circle of Friendship set which has some of the loveliest little sentiments on. And you can team it up with circle punches of different sizes to achieve a layered look, as I have here.


Photobucket


The new technique that I've used here is a type of watercolouring technique. I can't quite think of a name for it.. but it works soooo well! It's a bit like a faux copic type of look.

Photobucket


What I've actually done on here is to use Stampin Up ink pads and used nail varnish remover instead of water to paint on the colours, but using the blender pen. It gives more of a translucent type of look and also makes the colours look more vibrant! A great technique.

This is the card in full.

As you can see I've teamed it up with SU papers and ribbons. I love the combination of colours in this card.

I've also used the template from Kathy's Sketch file for the layout of this card, and I think it's one that I'll probably use on more than this occasion. It gives such a lovely look.


Photobucket


Time for Technique number two!

This was an idea I got from someone's blog the other week, although I can't remember who's it was (if you know, please drop me a line so I can add it on).

What I did to create the furry type of look around the hat and coat was to do some heat embossing.... but with a difference!

If you use a glue pen instead of ink to stick your embossing powder to, once you heat emboss it the glue bubbles up underneath the powders to give a dimensional effect. To emphasize it a little more, just repeat the process once the embossing cools down.

Photobucket


I have used copics to colour in my image.

This is the completed card, and as you can see, I've left it to look quite clear and simple. I've used Stampin Up's Soft Subtles card stock and the greeting comes from the Best Yet greeting set. There are some lovely greetings in this set, with some brilliant fonts too.

Photobucket


Here is the embossing effect in more detail. It looks really effective in real life. 

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. ooooh you've been busy, Jo. Lovely cards and the techniques you've shown look great - aren't you clever?!
    Thanks for using my Sketch it looks fab. I really should make one myself now!

    ReplyDelete

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips